Peshtemal Classic Hammam Style Thin Towel
WHAT IS PESTEMAL?
A pestemal or peshtamal (pesh-te-mahl) is an authentic flat woven Turkish towel with a hand-tied fringe, generally made with Turkish cotton.
Pestemal are colorful, fast drying, absorbent and an essential element of the Turkish bath experience. Pestemal are
used as towels, decorative throws and packable travel towels.
The reasons a Turkish pestemal is special, and different from the towels you are used are:
1) It’s made with high quality Turkish cotton, which is known for being great for textiles such as towels. This is because Turkish cotton is not too soft and plushy, and won’t absorb too much water.
Turkish cotton gives certain characteristics to the Pestemal, such as:
- The Turkish Cotton Sheen – Cheap lower quality imitators often try to copy the Turkish Pestemal, but end up with a product that feels different, just because they don’t use real Turkish cotton. After you see a real pestemal, you’ll know what we’re taking about.
- Fast Drying – Because Turkish cotton isn’t TOO absorbent, Turkish Pestemal ends up being fast drying and pushes water off of your skin, instead of just soaking it in and becoming a big ball of mildew.
2) It’s compact & packable – The pestemal is
handwoven in looms in such a way that is very lightweight and easy to pack. This means that it is a lot more compact than a regular towel.
3) It’s cultural – Buying a pestemal gives you the expectation of getting a great Turkish towel — and you will certainly get satisfied!
WHAT ARE PESTEMAL FOR?
A pestemal has many uses in and around the home. Depending on the width and the number of layers, a pestemal towel can be used as blanket, throw, table covering or beach towel.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PESTEMAL, TURKISH TOWEL, PESHTAMAL, FOUTA TOWEL, HAMMAM TOWEL, ETC?..
If you google around for PESTEMAL, you’ll unvariably end up seeing a lot of confusing terms.
Pestemal is the anglicized spelling of the Turkish word peştemal –
which is the word to for this traditional towel. Some people spell
pestemal like the Turkishword minus the “s” and others spell it the way
pestemal is pronounced. So Peshtamal is also a common spelling.
JH ✅ ( Verified ) –
Very pleased with my purchase from Grand Turkish Bazaar. Transaction was safe and secure. Delivered in a few days using DHL Express. I would recommend buying from Grand Turkish Bazaar for your authentic Turkish products.
Paul L ✅ ( Verified ) –
Classic, great quality like the ones we got in Turkey.