Turkish Delight Recipe is a popular search, recently on the internet. The sweetest member of the Turkish cuisine, the best gift to be given, the best fellowship with coffee, a nostalgia for childhood, reason of loving festivals… Delight known as Turkish Delight is a very popular and unique dessert. There are dozens of things to know about Turkish delight, which dates back hundreds of years and is an important part of Ottoman cuisine! Before describing how Turkish delight is made, it is a good idea to read some fun content first.
History of Turkish Delight
Turkish delight, an important part of the palace cuisine during the Ottoman Empire, has a history of hundreds of years. Sweet ‘abhisa’, which is frequently consumed by Sassanids who reigned in the Persian Empire between 226 and 652 BC, is known as the origin of Turkish delight, although not certain. Turkish delight was first called “rahat ul-hulküm”, which meant relieving the throat, but over time it became “comfortable pleasure”.. Finally, it is called ‘Turkish Delight in modern Turkish.
It’s recognition in Anatolia began in the 15th century and reached its peak in the 17th century. In the 18th century, Turkish delight began to be known and introduced by various travelers taking Turkish delight to Europe. In this way, it gains popularity in Europe by crossing borders. The first mass production in the Ottoman Empire began in 1777. First the delight is mixed with honey, syrup and flour and then with the invention of starch and refined sugar it gradually becomes its present state.
Features of Turkish Delight
Things to know about this fantastic, mouth watering food are almost endless. How to make Turkish Delight is a matter of skill and attention. Before that, it may be necessary to better understand the value of Turkish delight with various features. The most important feature of the delight is its sensitivity and flexibility. A well-made master’s delight, when pushed on it, should expand like a plastic or sponge, and the materials on it should return to their original shape without sticking to the hands. Starch provides transparency and brightness, which is other important feature of the delight. On the other hand, cooking techniques also differ from one type to another. If we take into account high demand coming from other countries, Turkish Delight is is an important representation of Turkey and Turkish cuisine. For this reason, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock introduces new criteria and regulations for the production of Turkish delight in 2014 in order to obtain a good quality Turkish delight.
Turkish Delight Types
I hear you say how to make a Turkish Delight. With a little more patience, we’ll finally show you how to make this great product at home. Before that, it is useful to look at various types of Turkish delight.
- Bird delight
- Turkish delight
- Turkish delight filled with walnut
- Double roasted Turkish delight
- Pomegranate Turkish Delight
- Turkish Delight with coconut
- Sultan delight
- Chocolate covered delight
- Turkish delight with lemon and mint
Nutritional Values of Turkish Delight
Of course, it can be estimated that nutritional values change according to the material used and their ratios. However, there are average values obtained based on all of them. According to this; There are 89.28 grams of carbohydrate, 0.12 grams of protein, 0.19 grams of fat, 0 grams of fiber, 100 grams of cholesterol, 19 mg of potassium, 5 mg of calcium and 0.1 mg of iron.
Benefits of Turkish Delight
There are numerous known benefits of Turkish Delight. Here are the basic benefits of them:
- Helps prevent or reduce tonsillitis.
- The carbohydrates in it helps prevent or helps cure kidney disease.
- It is also a tremendous source of help healing for various wounds that occur on our skin.
Harms of Eating Excess Turkish Delight
Of course, too much of everything makes damage. It really can’t be exempt from any food. As a matter of fact, the excess of Turkish Delight can cause problems in the body. Although Turkish delight is a healthy food, excessive consumption of carbohydrate, starch and sugar can cause diseases. Indigestion caused by these components can lead to fatty liver. This in turn leads to weight gain. Therefore, enjoy the delight, but be careful not to overdo it.
How to Make Turkish Delight
Let’s come to the essence of the matter. There are many answers to the question of how to make a delight, from the types of delight to the different interpretations of skilled hands. The most well-known and widely applied version is as follows:
- 1 liter milk
- 1.5 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 100 grams of butter
- 2 packs of vanilla
- Put flour, milk and sugar in a deep pan. Stir continuously on low heat.
- Remove from the stove immediately after the mixture boils.
- Add butter and vanilla. Mix and beat for 10 minutes with the help of a mixer.
- Pour the custard you made for Turkish Delight on a large tray and feed it to the whole area.
- Leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- Cut the custard in square shape the next morning or at noon and roll each square in your hand.
- Sprinkle coconut, hazelnut and walnuts on the rolls.
How to Make Turkish Delight with Orange
- 2 fresh oranges
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of starch
- 1.5 cup of powdered sugar
- After washing the oranges thoroughly, cut with a thin portion of your grater.
- Squeeze the oranges you cut and then squeeze the lemon juice.
- Put lemon juice, orange juice, sugar, water and starch in a deep saucepan and mix well.
- Take the cooker and stir in the saucepan.
- Add grated orange peels to the saucepan near the boil.
- Continue to cook until it has geled. Turn the stove off when it becomes like a pellet.
- You can put the mixture into a clean pipe.
- Correct to spread evenly over all debt.
- Leave the refrigerator for a while and let it cool down.
- Then cut into small pieces and sprinkle with coconut and serve.
How to make Love Turkish Delight
- 1.5 cups of milk
- 3.5 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 3.5 tablespoons of semolina
- 1/2 pack powder of whipped cream
- In a deep saucepan, add 1.5 cups of milk, 3.5 tablespoons of powdered sugar and 3.5 tablespoons of semolina.
- Mix these ingredients thoroughly.
- Then put the pan on top of the stove and cook over medium heat until it gets a thick consistency.
- Take this mixture from the stove and allow to cool after cooking. You will see the mixture become solid as it cools.
- Add half a pack of whipped cream over the cooled semolina mixture and mix it well and leave in the refrigerator for half an hour or an hour.
- Remove the cooled mixture and roll it into small pieces.
- After rounding them all up, add coconut and cocoa to make your dessert ready to serve.
How to Make Bird Turkish Delight
- 1 kilo of flour
- 250 gr granulated sugar
- 125 gr butter
- 12 to 15 egg yolks
- Flushed ashy water that the flour can handle
- Mix all of these ingredients and mix them well until they become a paste.
- After the paste, pour the sheet into the tray and spread well.
- Place the delighted molds in the oven and leave them for half an hour.
- Then remove it from the oven and put it on it with coconut and powdered sugar.
How to Make Turkish Delight with Carrot
- 6 large carrots
- 5 tablespoons of starch
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pack of vanillin
- Half a glass of coconut
- 2 tablespoons chocolate drops
- Peel and wash the carrots thoroughly. Then divide into two three parts.
- Place a deep pan on the stove and add the carrots into the pan. Put enough water over the carrots and boil.
- After the carrots have softened, remove one cup of boiled water.
- When the carrots have cooled, put them in a different bowl and add to the boiling water you have separated, then crush them thoroughly with the help of a blender.
- Take a pan and put the carrots that you crushed into. Add sugar, starch and vanillin ingredients and mix well. Boil and cook until dark.
- Moisten a sturdy container and place cooked carrots in it. Allow to reach normal temperature for about half an hour.
- Cover with stretch and leave in the refrigerator for 1 night. Divide the delight mortar into slices and roll each slice.
- Sprinkle round carrot balls with coconut and put some chocolates in the middle.
- Rest and serve for a short time.
After all, if you wish to order online turkish delight from Istanbul’s best quality turkish delight brands, or if you are looking for turkish delight near you, you can Order Turkish Delight from us. We make express shipping worldwide.